Vision & Values

As a firm, we have a simple Vision – to be successful by being uniquely Client-Centric in everything we do, and by being technically superb.

We constantly strive to attain that Vision, meaning that everything we do is centred on you.

We are all individuals, but we all share common Values, which define who we are and what we stand for, and help us to attain our Vision. Those Values are:

  • Collegiality
  • Custodianship - of the firm, its clients and its history
  • Communication
  • Career-Life Balance
  • Commitment

These Values are formed by our heritage. In 2014 we celebrated our 160th birthday and this heritage is very important to us – one of our Values is the recognition that we are custodians of long and fruitful connections with our clients, and with the cities in which we work.

We were established in Glasgow in 1854 by Thomas Grieve Wright and George Smith. Alexander Johnston joined the practice in 1866, and in 1869 Dr James Mackenzie joined the firm. Since then, we have been called Wright, Johnston & Mackenzie.

In 1986, the firm opened an Edinburgh office through the acquisition of Haldanes, McLaren & Scott WS, and over the years other businesses have been assumed to help us better serve the needs of the wider Scottish business and private client communities.

2011 saw us opening our third office, this time in Inverness, allowing us to capitalise on the rapidly expanding economy in the north of Scotland, and in 2016 we merged with the established Inverness firm MacArthur & Co to strengthen our presence in the area.

In May 2017 we merged with BMK Wilson, expanding our operation in Glasgow and giving us a fourth office in Dunblane. The merger added to the ongoing implementation of our plans to strengthen and grow our key areas of Private Client, Commercial Property, Corporate and Dispute Resolution, whilst giving us geographical reach into Perthshire.  

Throughout our history, we have led through client service. The principles of our founders are as valid today as they were 160 years ago when the first brass plate bearing their names was put in place. We are proud to be custodians of their legacy.