- Qualified as a solicitor in both Scotland and England and Wales
- Accredited by the Law Society of Scotland as specialist in trusts law
- Notary Public
- Member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- Member of STEP Worldwide Council representing Scotland 2007-2013 and again from January 2017
- Deputy Chairman of STEP Business Families Special Interest Group
- Member of STEP's Professional Development Committee and Scottish Branch Committee
- Member of Law Society of Scotland's Tax and Investor Protection Committees
I help individual clients, families and family businesses protect, manage and transfer their property and assets through wills, trusts, powers of attorney and other structures.
I explore with clients what they want to achieve and then help them create the best legal and financial structures to achieve this in the most tax-efficient way.
This often involves advising multiple generations of the same family, and there are a number of cases where I have helped a family keep, maintain and grow their wealth down the generations.
I am qualified to practise in England and Wales as well as in Scotland and am accredited by the Law Society of Scotland as a specialist in trusts law. I have been a member of the Society of Trust and Estates Practitioners (STEP) for 25 years. I represent Scotland on STEP's Worldwide Council and am Deputy Chairman of the STEP Business Families Special Interest Group and a member of STEP’s Professional Development and Scotland Branch Committees.
I have discussed with clients complex personal and family situations and have put in place wills, trust and other structures to ensure that their assets - including some unusual and valuable types of property - were protected and passed to their chosen beneficiaries.
I gave independent legal advice to the trustees of a large Employee Benefit Trust on a re-organisation of the trust and its assets which was proposed by the company.
I have presented a number of seminars on estate planning, trusts and tax for the Law Society of Scotland, STEP and within the firm
I provided the introduction to an important new book on Family Governance, produced in association with STEP. More details can be found here.