- I am a member of the Law Society of Scotland and a Notary Public.
- Involved with Scottish Renewables, United Kingdom Environmental Law Association, Scottish Parliament Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Cross Party Group and the China Britain Business Council. I attend various conferences and other events in the UK and abroad.
As a Partner in WJM's Renewable Energy team, I am particularly active in onshore wind, solar, biomass and hydro projects.
I work with developers to bring their renewable energy projects to fruition.
I also act for landowners, community energy bodies and registered social landlords in those sectors.
My clients include developers and landowners in mining and mineral projects (opencast coal and quarry sites). My involvement in these projects includes looking after all property aspects including the Heads of Terms, Option Agreements, Leases, Access Agreements, Wayleaves, Licences, Step-In Agreements, Mitigation Agreements and Habitat Management Agreements.
I also have knowledge of other aspects such as crofting, grid connection and planning and environmental issues as well as the overall regulatory regime.
I am involved in the funding of projects and understand the requirements of the due diligence process.
I work with various clients in the development, sale, purchase and leasing of commercial property.
As well as being commended by clients for my work I have been named in both Chambers UK and Legal 500 for several years and have been given many testimonials both as a Leading Individual and as a Notable Practitioner.
Recent work in which I have been involved includes:
- Acting for the Liquidator of The Scottish Coal Company Ltd on the property, mining and environmental aspects of that liquidation.
- Acting for Point and Sandwick Power Limited, which is a community energy organisation, in connection with a community-owned three turbine project at Beinn Ghrideag, near Stornoway, Isle of Lewis (the largest of its type in the UK) dealing with a range of property issues including access arrangements and crofting.
- Acting for a UK onshore wind developer in the development of a pipeline of sites from site selection through to the land deals and beyond.
- Acting for a number of onshore wind developers in putting in place their contractual arrangements for various sites, ranging from single turbine Feed in Tariff sites to large sites up to 100 MW in size.
- Acting for developers and landowners in relation to several solar arrays and hydro schemes.